Grab your camera for this fantastic tour of the South shores of Iceland
Let your shutter take in glaciers, ice caps, black sand beaches, rocks, surreal pillow lavas, volcanoes and much more.
Departing Heathrow (or Manchester/Glasgow/Aberdeen) for photographers up north) this week long trip takes in all the highlights of South, South-West and South East Iceland. From Reykjanes to Jokulsarlon Lagoon and Reykjavik all the way to the Snaefellsnenses Peninsula. This is a once in a lifetime dream trip for photographers.
The trip incorporates a variety of physical and human landscapes to suit all photographers. You have free time at each place to go and explore the landscape as you wish…so there is no overcrowding and plenty of space at each place.
We stop off regularly and there is some flexibility, enabling the group to spend more time in one place if they desire.
Day 1 Reykjanes Peninsula
Departure from Heathrow London airport (or Manchester for those up north) direct to Reykjavik with British Airways/Icelandair.
- Arrive Keflavik afternoon
- Supermarket stop. Pick up snacks and soft drinks/mixers
- Rocky outcrops: Visit the bridge over the two tectonic plates.
- Rugged Coastlines: Snap the lighthouse and amazing coastline with island
- Steamy vents with hues of copper: Gunnhaver hot springs
- Transfer to the cabins. Icelandia fest night. Icelandic schnapps.
Day 2 The Golden Circle Tour
- Tectonic Plates & Rift System. Enjoy the amazing wooden church at Thingvellir National Park. Capture the amazing plates. You have 2 hrs to take your own walk around the National Park and get it on film. Louise offers a short presentation on the area or you can go walking on your own. Visit the old wooden church and President’s House, the clear waters and rocks.
- Fontana Geothermal Spa (2 hours). Relax in the warm lake, admire the mountain views from the hot pools and algae bath or take a walk around the village of Laugarvatn and lake, or, sip a coffee or taste the ground baked geothermal bread.
- Geysir Active Geothermal Area. Spend an hour and a half or so walking around the spouting geysirs, turquoise pools or take a walk up the small hills for amazing views and colours or why not just bring your sketchpad and paint the colours. A good cafe, restaurant and souvenir shop on site.
- Gulfoss Waterfall. We stop at the lower car park for some photographs only (it is too dangerous to allow you to go to the waterfall overhang). We then take the bus to the upper car park where you can walk down to the top of the waterfall and see the gorge. There is time to take a coffee or buy some souvenirs.
- Kerid Pseudo Crater. On the way back we stop off to see the blue lake in this collapsed volcanic crater.
- Dinner: Spanish-Iberico Fiesta Salsa Night. Dancing/live music is we have enough musicians amongst us.
Day 3 Heimaey Island
- Stunning views of the Westermann volcanic islands as we arrive by the Herjolfur Ferry.
- You have all day to explore the island. Capture the volcanic lava flows, Edlfell volcano, the stunning views of the island or climb the mountains to look down on it all. This island really is a photographer’s paradise.
- You can also book a horse riding tour, a rib safari, whale watching trip, visit the Eldheimar Museum or climb the volcano. There is a fabulous outdoor geothermal pool for families. Payable locally. Ask Louise.
- 17hrs return to the mainland and visit Seljalandsfoss waterfall. You can walk behind the waterfall.
- We give you salmon, rice & vegetables to cook yourselves tonight in your cabin.
- Relax in your jacuzzi
Day 4 South East Iceland
- Skogarfoss waterfall
- Reynishverfi black sand beach
- Vik village
- Jokulsarlon Lagoon-seals and icebergs
- Fjallsjokull glacier with its close up crevasses
- Skaftafell national park
- Surreal moss-covered pillow lavas
- Dinner in a Vik Restaurant
Day 5 South Coast
- Blue Lagoon Spa
- The eerie Kryusivik vents
- Grindavik harbour and village
- Strandakirkja church
- Eyrrarbakki/Stokkseyri shoreline
- Dinner: Americana BBQ Night, karaoke & dancing/live music if we have musicians. Craft beer tasting. Bring three beers each and Louise provides icelandic craft beers.
Day 6 West Iceland-National Parks
- Snaefellsnenses Peninsula
- Explore the amazing nature around where Jules Verne’s Journey to the centre of the Earth begins
- Dinner: In a local restaurant
Day 7 Reykjavik Urban Cool
- Louise offers a short tour of the old town including the harbour area & the Parliament. Grab your lenses for colourful, tin houses and quirky grafitti.
- Visit the Town Hall and see the giant map of Iceland
- Visit Lake Tjornagata lake with it’s birdlife
- Freetime to explore (plenty of time to see everything Reykjavik has to offer)
- You can buy tickets or pre book tickets to go whale watching (weather dependent), they usually leave around 13hrs and it lasts 2.5 hrs, from the Old Harbour.
- You can explore Skola street and see the fashionable arts and crafts district Go up the Hallsgrimskirkja church for roof top views over Reykjavik and Flaxafloi Bay. Explore the little streets around for brightly coloured houses. Louise will guide you down quirky streets…..
- Walk along the seafront for the viking sculpture and views of the u-shaped glaciated valleys of Snaefellsenses peninsula.
- Dinner: Asian night
- 70’s music night with karaoke.
- Departure back to the UK, London/Manchester.
This tour is fully ATOL protected and you will have 23kg of luggage and 10kg of hand luggage for your cameras and lenses.
If you wish to express an interest please email email@example.com
A payment plan will be available a non returnable deposit in April 2018. Places tend to fill up fast and are on a first come, first served basis. We can take a maximum of 50 people but aim to have about 35. A minimum group size exists for this tour. There is ample time and space at each destination for you to go and explore with your camera. Guide Louise will point out places of interest. This is to prevent overcrowding around one place.
Guide: Louise, an english guide with 14 years experience in Iceland. Our bus driver is a qualified Icelandic guide and familiar with Icelandic weather and road conditions.
Cost: £1899 per person plus £2.50 ATOL protection charge
Minimum group size: 30 people are required to ensure this tour takes place. Maximum 50. You are free to go off at each place in small groups by yourselves or in pre arranged groups. A tutor will be on hand who will run workshops (payable).
Accommodation: Shared, 4 star luxury 80msq cabins at Minniborgir, Selfoss (See www.minniborgir.is). You each have your own room or you can share (discounted prices will apply dependant upon numbers). Groups of 6 or more will get their own cabin.
Number of people: Cabins sleep 9 maximum. Passengers will get their own room and typically up to 6 people will share a cabin in 3 bedrooms-there’s one double bed, a double bed with a single bunk and a mezzanine upstairs with two double beds (additional mattresses for children/teens. A discount can be offered for those sharing a room (couples) or for children/teenagers. You can share with friends. The cabins are some of the best in Iceland and quite luxurious. You can find good reviews of them on Tripadvisor. (see www.minniborgir.is)
Cabin Description: Dishwasher, TV, WIFI, DVD, outdoor jacuzzi and gas bbq grill provided. Towel and bedding supplied.
ATOL Protection: This tour is fully ATOL protected (£2.50 pp additional charge)
Coach transfer to London: Pick up from Aldeburgh, Wickham Market, Woodbridge Station, Ipswich (Tesco’s Copdock) and Colchester (Stanway Sainsbury’s) to London Heathrow and return is included in the price.
Meal Plan Bring your own tea, coffee and jam for breakfast (you have a nice kitchen). Buy your own bread and butter for breakfast or bacon/eggs. You make you own packed lunch (you can bring in 3kg of ham/cheese/cooked meats). We supply all evening meals and two meals out in good restaurants.
Entrances: Entrance to the Fontana and Blue Lagoon Spas are included.
Typical Prices in Iceland
Bread, milk, bacon, eggs are more or less similar in price to the UK. We will take you to a supermarket upon arrival For comparison purposes, this is why we stay in self catering cabins Hotel £150 per night per person, Breakfast £15 Lunch £20-£25 Dinner £40-£60 Soft Drinks £3-£5 Alcoholic drinks £8-£12 Wine £40 to £60.
This trip offers excellent value for money and includes £1300 of day excursions from other providers in Reykjavik. Similar photography tours retails at more than £3300 for 6 days with other providers. Because we work direct with farmers, we can pass the savings onto you.